Network Security is the process of taking physical and software preventative measures to protect the underlying networking infrastructure from unauthorized access, misuse, malfunction, modification, destruction, or improper disclosure, thereby creating a secure platform for computers, users and programs to perform . Every network needs to be protected by many security systems such as Antivirus, Anti Spamming, Content Filtering. A network security appliance like Firewall/UTM also measures bandwidth consumption with respect to users. Below mentioned are some of the salient features of network security.
Network security has become more important to personal computer users, organizations, and the military. With the advent of the internet, security became a major concern and the history of security allows a better understanding of the emergence of security technology. The internet structure itself allowed for many security threats to occur. The architecture of the internet, when modified can reduce the possible attacks that can be sent across the network. Knowing the attack methods, allows for the appropriate security to emerge. Many businesses secure themselves from the internet by means of firewalls and encryption mechanisms. The businesses create an “intranet” to remain connected to the internet but secured from possible threats.
1. Access – authorized users are provided the means to communicate to and from a particular network
2. Confidentiality – Information in the network remains private
3. Authentication – Ensure the users of the network are known users
4. Integrity – Ensure the message has not been modified in transit
5. Non‐repudiation – Ensure the user does not refute that he used the network
6. Compliance – Solutions for PCI DSS, HIPPA and other statutory compliances